Director, DHA Planning, Monitoring, & Evaluation (PME)
- Church World Service
- Director, Management
- Education, Nonprofit
- Career Level
- Executive (Director, VP, Department Head, etc)
- Full Time
- Employer Type
- Direct Employer
Church World Service, Inc.
Position Title: Director, DHA Planning, Monitoring, & Evaluation (PME)
Reports To: Vice President, Development and Humanitarian Assistance (DHA)
Job Location:Regional/Global (locations where CWS has operating offices)
Church World Service does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
The Director for Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation (PME) will advise the CWS Development and Humanitarian Assistance Program (DHA) on global activities related to planning, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning systems and processes in order to help ensure that CWS humanitarian and development work is designed and managed with full attention to quality, accountability, documentation, and learning in all of our work.
- This position will function under the supervision of Vice President DHA and will oversee the overall DHA Program coordination to contribute substantively to the formulation and implementation of the PME systems. The position will work closely with the Senior Director DHA, Regional Directors and country program teams and national PME leads to ensure that the PMEAL aspects are well internalized and applied to all DHA programs.
- The Director PME will also be responsible for designing, implementing and managing the PME systems to help analyze the social and development impacts of DHA program activities and contribute to the overall CWS vision of building a robust PME system that includes strong accountability and learning elements (PMEAL)
The position requires domestic and international travel. The staff person will maintain frequent communication with CWS colleagues and partners.
- Lead DHA PME strategy development in collaboration with DHA leadership and programs.
- Inform DHA contribution to relevant, internal PME policy and ensure their implementation in collaboration with DHA leadership and programs.
- Lead CWS engagement with external initiatives around PME, such as with DHA Advisory Group members, coalitions or other networks relevant to DHA programming and CWS mission.
- In coordination with relevant DHA programs and Country PME leads, ensure data collection, provide timely information and reporting on all DHA Activities in a manner that reinforces transparency and integrity.
- Inform, and coordinate as appropriate, DHA efforts on knowledge transfer, exchanges, or working groups relevant to or for PME.
- Determine data collection methodologies for adequate monitoring and evaluation of performance of DHA programs and promote accountability and learning, and as related to CWS policies.
- Provide input and technical guidance to program concept notes, annual reporting and proposal requirements and coordinate data collection on results with programs and partners organizations.
- Provide capacity building and mentoring on PME specific issues for DHA offices and other CWS staff; to ensure inclusivity in concert with the identified developmental goals and effective operation of development and humanitarian programs.
- Review PME methods and make improvements to the monitoring and evaluation procedures and systems, updating policies, procedures, methodologies and practices to align with the most current trends and local needs of programs.
- Assist in defining the scope of work and supporting evaluations of humanitarian and development projects.
- Provide input into the DHA Strategic Plan and its operationalization.
- Serve on CWS and external member organization Task Groups as requested.
- Manage and lead the PME unit
- Supervise the PME officer(s)
- Review PME work plans, provide quarterly reports, participate in country oversight and support visits and initiate regular project reviews.
Master’s degree in a related field (including research/evaluation methodology).
Skills and Experience:
- 8-10 number of years of developing and managing PMEL work in a humanitarian or development setting
- Extensive knowledge of PME systems and best practices.
- Excellent writing, oral communication, and analytical skills.
- Strong relational and facilitation skills.
- Experience designing and leading professional development and/or capacity development activities.
- Ability to travel internationally 30% of the time required; must hold a valid passport.
Strong skills in word processing, spreadsheet and database applications. Experience in online management systems, data visualization, and data analysis software a plus.