GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY
George Mason University’s Board of Visitors and university community invite nominations and applications for the position of President. Under the leadership of former president, Dr. Ángel Cabrera, Mason has emerged as a national example of access to excellence, a top-tier research university firmly committed to its public mission of expanding access to high-quality education. A Carnegie R1 university, Mason is the largest, fastest growing and most diverse public university in Virginia, with demonstrated delivery of exceptional graduation and career outcomes. Mason, a comprehensive, national and international university, has set the standard for a bold, dynamic education that serves its students and communities.
The President is the chief executive officer of the university and is responsible for all operations of the university, including overall leadership and management of the institution, its academic enterprise, fundraising, the development of fiscal plans, and the allocation of resources. The President represents the university in the Commonwealth of Virginia as well as nationally and internationally and reports to the George Mason University Board of Visitors.
The university seeks a President with vision, experience, credentials, integrity, energy and determination to lead a $1B+, national and international, academic and research entity and advance its top academic goals.
A strong culture of excellence to build upon is already in place. Evidence of excellence includes:
- Mason ranks 67th in U.S. News & World Report 2019 list of “Top Public Schools.”
- Mason has more than 37,000 students, and its freshman retention rate of 87 percent is among the highest in the country. Seventy percent of Mason students graduate in six years.
- The university is committed to a robust, inclusive and welcoming climate for learning and research. It cultivates in a diverse and inclusive faculty, staff and student body of exceptional achievement.
- Mason is accessible and is one of the few U.S. universities to have no disparity in graduation outcomes for students regardless of race, ethnicity or socioeconomic status.
- Mason accounted for 64% net public university enrollment growth in the Commonwealth of Virginia in the last eight years.
- Mason is a tier 1 research university with sponsored research exceeding $149 million with a rate that has increased 54% just in the last seven years.
- Mason conducts research of consequence. The driving forces behind Mason’s research are to solve problems, to make a significant difference in the world and to serve as an engine of innovation for the region and commonwealth.
- Mason invested more than $600 million in capital projects in recent years.
- With three northern Virginia campuses and an international campus near Seoul, South Korea, Mason’s location just outside the nation’s capital provides exceptional opportunities for the university to engage the U.S. government, international organizations and major corporations in myriad industries.
- In addition to its academic focus, the university boasts nationally recognized NCAA Division I athletic teams.
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc. is assisting the Board of Visitors and the university community in the search for the 8th President of George Mason University. Applications and nominations are now being accepted. Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made. Applications are encouraged to be submitted before November 15, 2019. Application materials should include a letter addressing how the candidate’s experience and skills match the position requirements, a résumé/CV and contact information for at least five references. Individuals wishing to nominate a candidate should include the name, position, address and telephone number of the nominee. A letter addressing how the candidate’s experiences match the position requirements is recommended.
Consultants Jan Greenwood and Julie Holley may be reached by phone at 850-650-2277.
Inquiries, nominations, and applications should be directed to:
Jan Greenwood or Betty Turner Asher, Partners
Julie Holley, Senior Executive Search Consultant
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Center Drive, Suite 206
Miramar Beach, FL 32550
Phone: 850-650-2277 / Fax: 850-650-2272
For more information about George Mason University, please visit the web site at
https://www2.gmu.edu/ and https://www2.gmu.edu/topic/list/all/22911 for the position description on the Presidential Search web site.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.