Senior Director of Building Codes and Standards (structural)
- Position requires working from a home office loc
- Director, Civil Engineer
- Associations, Federal, State & Local
- Career Level
- Executive (Director, VP, Department Head, etc)
- Full Time
- Employer Type
- Direct Employer
The Senior Director of Building Codes and Standards (structural) works with national model building codes and standards organizations including ICC, ASTM, ACI and others to adopt provisions that benefit concrete construction and defeat provisions that would be detrimental to concrete construction. This position works with the NRMCA Building Codes and Advocacy team and the Joint NRMCA-PCA (Portland Cement Association) promotion committee to provide technical support regarding codes, standards, regulation and legislation at the national, state and local level. Success of the position will be based on the number of code proposals passed and defeated as identified through NRMCA and PCA strategic planning and committee development process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain a positive influential relationship with model codes and standards organizations. Organizations include ICC, ASTM, ACI, AESHRAE, NEHRP, ASCE and any other organizations deemed essential to achieve the objectives of the NRMCA Building Codes and Standards group.
- Provide strategic input on specific model building codes and standards provisions that would result in/create a threat to favorable conditions for concrete construction.
- Identifies specific opportunities and threats, develops strategies, and creates code change proposals and revisions to codes and standards, including the development of new provisions, to protect and advance building requirements favorable to concrete.
- Interact with cement and concrete industry groups to assist with input on national code and standards advocacy.
- Provides technical support to NRMCA State and Local Advocacy group, members and state affiliates regarding local codes and standards.
- Makes technical and persuasive presentations and testify at code hearings.
- Helps build coalitions of likeminded groups and individuals (both concrete industry and non-industry partners) to support NRMCA and PCA positions in the codes and standards.
- Prepares, submits and defends codes language with appropriate substantiation.
- Evaluates the potential for success based on available technical support.
- Prepares appropriate submittals and testimony.
- Helps determine appropriate promotion and communication strategies to influence decision makers based on the priority of the item and the potential for success.
- Provides testimony and/or ballots or conducts ballots.
- Re-evaluates failed initiatives projects and builds upon successful initiatives.
- Documents and communicates successes and failures.
- Other duties to successfully implement NRMCA and PCA strategic plans.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Make strategic decisions and judgments.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Gather and analyze data and generate reports.
- Create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Analyze and solve problems.
- Use tools such as office productivity software.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Master of Civil Engineering (structural engineering concentration)
- Minimum 10 years experience working on national building codes and standards with a track record of success.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer
- Registered as a Structural Engineer a plus
- Expertise in structural engineering
- Expertise in seismic engineering and design
- Working knowledge of building energy design and analysis a plus
- Working knowledge of performance-based design a plus
- Working knowledge of acoustical design a plus
- Position requires significant travel (25%). Most overnight travel consists of three or less nights, but occasionally (2 or 3 times a year) four to seven night-stays are required. Several weekend travel days per year.
- Pack and ship heavy printed material and other supplies (50 lbs.)