Manager, Fiscal Operations
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND EXTENSION (UME)
Title: Manager, Fiscal Operations
Category: Exempt Staff, Full-time Regular Position
Position Number: 103257
Location: College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, College Park, MD
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The University of Maryland Extension seeks a Manager for Fiscal Operations to directly support the
Associate Dean/Associate Director and the Assistant Director of Operations for the University of Maryland Extension. Major responsibilities are listed below with an emphasis on financial and operational support to units within the University of Maryland Extension (UME). This position will work to increase fiscal accountability and clarity within the organization, and specifically provide fund account support and management to the senior leadership team of assistant directors.
- Oversee UME financial accounts including state, federal capacity, revolving, and foundation accounts. Responsible for budget and account preparation, review, reconciliation, accountability and reporting.
- Provide fiscal and personnel support to the University of Maryland Extension Senior Leadership Team to include the Associate Dean and Associate Director, the Assistant Director of Operations, the Assistant Director for Agriculture and Food Systems, the Assistant Director for Family and Consumer Science and the Assistant Director for Program and Organizational Development
- Prepare budget presentations and projections for UME’s Senior Leadership Team.
- Formulate short and long term budget projections and hold quarterly budget meetings with the Associate Dean/Director and Assistant Director of Operations and other members of the Senior Leadership Team.
- Assist the Associate Dean/Director and Assistant Director of Operations on strategic and operational planning, budgets, resource allocation, unit infrastructure needs, sources of revenue, administrative services, and College and University policies.
- Assist with federal compliance items under UME.
- Work with College fiscal office and unit staff, in development and training of standard operating procedures (SOPs) for annual budgeting of UME units and review throughout the year budgeted verses actual expenditures.
- Ensure compliance with UM policies covering Affiliated Foundations, Centers and Institutes.
- Implement process and procedures that track spending on all accounts within the University of Maryland Extension, specifically track spending on accounts for the senior leadership team.
- Responsible for annual budget preparation process in BPM for UME units.
- Responsible for the Capital Assets/Inventory Control process.
- Provide assistance and support as needed to the Assistant Director of Operations and the Associate Dean/Associate Director.
- Supervise the Program Management Specialist.
Qualifications: Required –
- Master’s Degree in business administration, accounting, management, or other related disciplines.
- Five years of management experience in business administration, specifically, strong fiscal management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical ability, finance background and excellent interpersonal skills.
Manager, Fiscal Operations
- Demonstrable experience with preparing detailed financial analysis and long-term budget projections.
- A strong working knowledge of accounting systems, financial policies and procedures.
- A demonstrated ability to navigate sensitive issues and work collaboratively towards successful outcomes.
- Experience with fiscal and operational management of an academic unit.
- Experience with University information, financial and personnel systems.
- Working knowledge of local, state, and federal agencies and groups involved in college related issues.
- Understanding of federal regulations regarding fiscal management of federal funds such as Uniform Guidance and Federal Acquisition Regulations.
Physical Demands of the Position:
- This position is an administrative position. Work is primarily performed in an office environment during the 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. time frame.
- This position will frequently exchange information through vocal and written communication, with individuals of various ages, socio-economic, and educational backgrounds. The ability to express or exchange ideas is important.
- Visual acuity is required to review and/or analyze written reports, spreadsheets, data and figures for accuracy. This position will also research information and prepare written materials and presentations for annual reports, budget presentations. Extensive viewing of a computer screen is normal.
- Ability to lift and carry small parcels, packages, and other items (up to 20 lbs.) between offices as well as be able to manage conflict, processes, and work within deadlines.
Salary & Benefits: Salary commensurate with education and experience with a base salary of $64,000. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefit package.
Application Process: All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/85728. A complete application packet includes a cover letter, resume, copies of transcripts, and three (3) professional references, including name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Best Consideration Date: For best consideration, apply by September 24, 2021. Position will remain open until an acceptable candidate is identified.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected
veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.