- City of Dover
- Dover, Delaware
- Annual Salary, $130,000 - $150,000,
- Government and Public Services
- Career Level
- Senior Executive (SVP, President, CFO, etc)
- Full Time
- Employer Type
- Direct Employer
The City of Dover seeks a proven, dedicated, responsive and experienced individual for the position of City Manager.The ideal candidate will be an experienced leader with a background in local governance.The candidate will be a strong leader, manager and administrator with excellent communication skills. Impeccable integrity committed to the high ethical standards of the local government management profession and transparent government operations.
Dover operates under a Council-City Manager form of government. There are approximately 375 full-time and 30 part-time employees who provide services to Dover’s population of approximately 39,000 residents.
The City Manager has oversight of the customer service, human resources, information technologies, library, public works, recreation, and utilities (electric, water and sewer) departments.
The following examples of job responsibilities will provide ways in which candidates will become immersed in city government and advance the organization.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining a productive, harmonious and respectful work environment. Diversity and inclusion are valued. Genuine concern for employee’s success, hiring, training empowerment and staff development. Strong understanding of leadership principles and practices.
- Develops goals, objectives, policy and procedures for City activities and programs in consultation with elected or appointed officials, senior management, department heads, and department staff.
- Performs long and short-range planning for the City. Works in collaboration with the City Council to develop and implement new programs and services to support and encourage the City’s growth and development.
- Advises and consults with elected and appointed officials, commissions, department heads, staff agencies, civic or private groups, individuals, and others on issues, problems, strategies, policies, and procedures related to City services.
- Represents the City on regional and local boards or committees and at meetings concerning City issues; makes presentations to elected or appointed officials, department heads and staff, and other public or private agencies or groups on significant City issues or programs.
- Oversees administrative matters such as developing, reviewing and presenting City budgets, administering expenditures, developing and recommending City CIPs; conducting special studies, managing correspondence and records, preparing routine and special reports, administering training, providing for staff technical or professional growth, and other administrative duties.
- Requires Bachelor’s degree in public administration, finance, business management, engineering or
closely related field.Master’s degree in public administration, finance, business management is preferred.
- ICMA credentials are preferred but not required
- Valid Driver’s License
- Requires over ten years of experience
A criminal background investigation, driver’s license review and professional reference checks will be required. The successful candidate will be required to live with the city limits within a reasonable time frame.
To view the entire job description for complete details on job responsibilities and requirements, please visit, https://www.cityofdover.com/job-titles-and-rates. Please select the Non-bargaining tab and locate the City Manager position.
- Health, dental, vision and group life insurance
- 401a and 457 deferred compensation plans
- Paid vacation and sick leave
To Apply Submit the Following
- City of Dover employment application (www.cityofdover.com/jobs)
- Cover Letter including specific salary requirement
Annual Salary Range: $130,000 - $150,000, based on qualifications
Closing Date: Open until filled however candidates are encouraged to apply by September 1, 2021
To learn more about the city of Dover, visit our website at www.cityofdover.com. On the home page, a link is available for our municipal code. Here you can learn about our organization.
Ethical conduct and honest behavior are our basic organizational values. Candidates will be instrumental in assisting to make Dover a place where people want to live through our motto –
Dedication, Ownership, Vision, Excellence and Reliability
City of Dover is an Equal Opportunity Employer.