UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
AGRICULTURAL EXPERIMENT STATION
Functional Title: Facilities Maintenance Specialist
Position Number: 103048
Category Status: Exempt Regular
Unit: AGNR-AES-CMREC-Forage Research Farm (Ellicott City, MD)
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
Under minimum direction, plans, organizes and manages maintenance services at Central Maryland Research and Education Center (CMREC) providing hands-on building maintenance and repair for multiple buildings, space allocation, purchasing, emergency preparedness, and/or safety programs, schedule & coordinate services at three different locations; the Beltsville, Clarksville and Upper Marlboro facilities. Coordinate services with Research Facilities Management Office (RFMO) when needed, replace or contact vendors for a wide variety of complex systems including HVAC, Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, Electrical, Potable Water, Wastewater and Irrigation Systems as well as buildings and infrastructure maintenance. This position works directly with the Center Director (CMREC-LESREC-WMREC), Managers of the Research and Education Centers, and Research Facilities Management Office (RFMO).
- Bachelor’s degree (Biological or Agricultural Engineering)
- CDL (obtain within one year)
- Two (2) years’ experience in overall facilities management with emphasis on research.
- However except for qualifications established by law, additional relevant experience five (5) years’ experience and formal education in which one has gained knowledge, skills and abilities may be substituted for the degree (years of experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience).
- Ability to interact with vendors, diverse faculty and staff in a research environment.
- Familiarity with various building systems, e.g. HVAC, electrical, steam, water, building, grounds and motor vehicle maintenance and repair.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills: An extensive knowledge of HVAC systems, electronics and mechanics. Carpentry skills to perform routine interior and exterior building maintenance and renovations. Familiar with operation of large equipment (e.g. backhoes, tractors, forklifts, mowers and all types of power tools). Ability to fabricate and build parts using acetylene torch, arc and Mig welder and plasma cutter. Competent in computer usage.
Additional Certifications: Required certifications: 1) Holding and maintaining a CDL license (or obtain within one year of employment)
Lift and transport agricultural supplies, tools and equipment, to climb and to perform extensive standing and walking, to wear and work in personal protective equipment; to work in extreme weather. On-call, emergency after hours, weekends and holidays may be required.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience, with base salary starting at $57,466. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.
Electronic application is required and must be submitted through eTerp at: https://ejobs.umd.edu for position number 103048. A complete application packet includes a cover letter, unofficial transcripts, and list of three (3) professional references, including name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Closing Date: For best consideration apply before May 31, 2021 or until a suitable candidate has been identified.
The University of Maryland is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
Women and Minorities are Strongly Encouraged to Apply.